Student Spotlight - Shane Wilmer

Name: Shane Wilmer

Major: Human Services

Primary Site:Bad River

About you :

I am an enrolled member of the Bad River Band; I am 25 years old and I am a first-generation college student. I have 4 children between the ages of 2 and 8 years old. Currently I work for Great Lakes Inter-Tribal Council as a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor serving Native Americans with disabilities.

Why did you decide to pursue a college degree with Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwe College?

I was very hesitant to go on and pursue a higher education, but my supervisor at the time encouraged me to go to the LCO college and see what they offered. I went and signed up for classes and started my first class the very next day. The flexibility and convenience of the class locations and schedules make it almost impossible for you to fail. I knew that LCO College wouldn’t have got in the way of maintaining my full-time job and raising my children.

How is Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwe College different from other college options?

Here at LCO College there is a sense of family between students and faculty. The students know that the instructors are there for them and wish nothing but success for them. Having LCO College be a tribal college, the students get to learn more about their history while also having opportunities to become actively involved in their culture.

What has been your favorite class so far?

The class I enjoyed the most while attending LCO College would have to be Native American History. This subject seems to be lacking in most High Schools now days, so being able to dig deep into our history was a blessing.

What advice would you give someone who is undecided on starting college?

If you are on the fence about furthering your education, you’ll have to ask yourself two questions. 1.) What will you lose by getting a degree? 2.) What will you gain by getting a degree? Odds are the gains outweigh any loses. Weighing out the answers to those questions will help you make the right decision for yourself.

What will you do after you complete your degree with Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwe College?

Once I obtain my bachelor’s degree, I will continue to serve my people and give back to my community. I may go further and pursue my master’s degree in social work or a related field.

What does it mean to you to attend college in our local community?

Attending college in my community means that I can maintain a good job and raise my children, all without having to travel far for my education. Having LCO College so close to home gives me hope that more of my fellow community members will take advantage of the opportunities within.

What does it mean to you to attend a Tribal College?

Attending a Tribal College means that I can get a great education while learning more about my history and culture as well.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square

I'm a paragraph. Click here to add your own text and edit me. It's easy.

ABOUT US

Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwe College (LCOOC) is a non-profit Ojibwe tribal community college.  We are an open-door institution which welcomes anyone who would like to work toward a better tomorrow.  LCOOC does not discriminate based upon race and will not deny admission to any Native student regardless of tribal enrollment or affiliation. We are compliant with Title IX which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex.

ADDRESS

LCO Ojibwe College
13466 W. Trepania Rd.
Hayward, WI 54843

info@lco.edu

Phone: 715.634.4790
Toll-Free: 888.526.6221
Fax: 715.634.5049

LCOOC Sustainable Agriculture Research Station

13457W Froemel Rd.

Hayward, WI 54843

Phone: 715.634.9666

© 2017 LAC COURTE OREILLES OJIBWE COLLEGE

• Facebook Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • ecampus