Student Spotlight: Keshia Chino

Name: Keshia Chino

Major: Small Business Management/Bachelor of Science-Business Administration

Primary Site

• LCO- Main Campus

About You:

I am a tribal member of Lac Courte Oreilles, and I also represent Navajo Nation. I am a mother of two daughters ages 12 and 10. I have lived here in LCO all my life and an active member in the community. I am the president of the student senate here at our college and I am trying my best to develop a system that other future student senates can use to connect the outreach sites and strengthen the student body involvement.

Why did you decide to pursue a college degree with Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwe College? With my background in working with the different entities here on the reservation and the types of management styles I encountered, it made me realize that the structure that they used was dated. I have seen other scenarios that worked for successful companies and their employees enjoyed their jobs more. I wanted to get my education and use what I have learned and apply it to the entities here because our unemployment rate is high, and I would like for that to change. I personally know how daunting it is to work a job that I feel like doesn’t go anywhere, I would like for it to change and our tribal members to feel like their work is more than a weekly paycheck.

How is Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwe College different from other college options?

This college is small and even though it is small we have all the resources we need to be successful. The student to teacher ratio is very small so when we need help it doesn’t take much to get the help you need. Everyone that has been here for a few semesters knows all the staff on a first name basis is beneficial. Our Ojibwe culture is heavily connected with our college and I learn something new every semester that I am here.

What has been your favorite class so far?

I think that my favorite class of all the semesters that I have been here at LCOOC has to be Ethnobotany, I have applied most of that I have learned to my life. The labs that come along with this class I have shown my children because it was so fascinating to know that there are little gems all around us.

What student organizations are you a part of? Why?

I am president of the student senate, I am a member of AIBL, Archery, and Art Club. I noticed that I would start a club and shortly I would stop going. After I quit smoking cigarettes I noticed that I had more time on my hands and I figured I would apply myself more in college. Being more involved has taught me a lot and I have gained more professional relationships with my fellow classmates which is very cool in my opinion.

What advice would you give someone who is undecided on starting college?

If you’re not sure what you want to do start your gen. ed. classes. Apply yourself inside your studies something will seem more interesting than the others and I would say test the waters in that field. If it isn’t something that interests you can always change your major.

What will you do after you complete your degree with Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwe College?

I would like to go on and further my education. My view of my future has changed so much since I started college here that I am unsure what my future holds for me. I would like to own my own business, but that perspective has changed so much that now I'm leaning toward being a business consultant. Marketing consultant also seems appealing. I have time to figure out what I want to do after my educational journey.

What does it mean to you to attend college in our local community?

It means so much to be here so close to my home. Everyone that works here at main I know on a first name basis and it feels awesome to be more engaged in the people that are helping you succeed.

What does it mean to you to attend a Tribal College?

It definitely is enlightening to embrace others with the history of the Ojibwe’s here in Wisconsin. The things I have learned at this college about our culture or history is fascinating and there are things that I learned in some of my classes that I never knew. Being here has opened my eyes to how our history has been so suppressed and forgotten.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square

I'm a paragraph. Click here to add your own text and edit me. It's easy.

ABOUT US

Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwe College (LCOOC) is a non-profit Ojibwe tribal community college.  We are an open-door institution which welcomes anyone who would like to work toward a better tomorrow.  LCOOC does not discriminate based upon race and will not deny admission to any Native student regardless of tribal enrollment or affiliation. We are compliant with Title IX which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex.

ADDRESS

LCO Ojibwe College
13466 W. Trepania Rd.
Hayward, WI 54843

info@lco.edu

Phone: 715.634.4790
Toll-Free: 888.526.6221
Fax: 715.634.5049

LCOOC Sustainable Agriculture Research Station

13457W Froemel Rd.

Hayward, WI 54843

Phone: 715.634.9666

© 2017 LAC COURTE OREILLES OJIBWE COLLEGE

• Facebook Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • ecampus