Alumni Spotlight: Fowzia Omar

Major at Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwe College: Associate Degree of Nursing

Primary Site: LCO

If attended another College(s), major(s) and degree(s) received:

I am currently pursuing my Bachelor of Science – Nursing degree from Cappella University, I am on track to finish in April. After completing my BSN I’d like to continue to become a Nurse Practitioner and someday I’d like to teach here at LCOOC.

Current title, employer, description of role:

I currently work 4 jobs, 2 in group homes as a Clinical Manager and two on call positions.

About you (Tribal Affiliation, Native, Family, Non-traditional student, Traditional student, etc.):

I was born in Somalia and came to the United States in 1997. I am a single mother of two children who took a chance with LCOOC and couldn’t be happier. LCOOC gave me the confidence to continue my education and is currently pursuing her Bachelor of Science- Nursing degree from Cappella University. She would then like to move on to become a nurse practitioner.

Why did you decide to pursue a college degree with Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwe College?

I decided to come to LCOOC because some of my colleagues told me about the College. I was concerned about the drive, but when I met with the faculty, Sajeetha, she told me about others who had been successful in completing their degree. The nursing program here at LCOOC offers many clinical hours to complete the program and that was very helpful.

I recruited others to come with me, was able to finish my degree without a problem and now I recruit others to come here.

What does it mean to you to attend college in our local community?

I traveled from Minneapolis for classes, the ADN program brought me here.

What does it mean to you to attend a Tribal College?

I came for the ADN program, not because LCOOC is a Tribal College, but taking the Ojibwe Culture classes helped me to understand the Ojibwe Culture. I enjoyed learning about different backgrounds.

How did attending Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwe College affect your career and/or next College success?

I enjoyed the welcoming of students and staff of LCOOC. My classmates and advisor gave me the self-assurance to complete the program without any issues.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square

I'm a paragraph. Click here to add your own text and edit me. It's easy.

ABOUT US

Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwe College (LCOOC) is a non-profit Ojibwe tribal community college.  We are an open-door institution which welcomes anyone who would like to work toward a better tomorrow.  LCOOC does not discriminate based upon race and will not deny admission to any Native student regardless of tribal enrollment or affiliation. We are compliant with Title IX which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex.

ADDRESS

LCO Ojibwe College
13466 W. Trepania Rd.
Hayward, WI 54843

info@lco.edu

Phone: 715.634.4790
Toll-Free: 888.526.6221
Fax: 715.634.5049

LCOOC Sustainable Agriculture Research Station

13457W Froemel Rd.

Hayward, WI 54843

Phone: 715.634.9666

© 2017 LAC COURTE OREILLES OJIBWE COLLEGE

• Facebook Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • ecampus