AIHEC Student Conference Spotlight | Meet Jody & Anthony

About you:

Both are LCO tribal members, Jody is traditional student, Anthony is non-traditional, they are engaged to be married and currently live together and own a very cute dog named Oliver, they have been together since high school.

Why did you decide to pursue a college degree with Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwe College?

J: Attended LCO College because of location and affordability and transfer to a four year by completing all generals need to transfer. I like that I have learned more about Ojibwe culture.

A: The location is convenient and getting a degree will help me in obtaining better jobs around here.

How is Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwe College different from other college options?

J: Affordable, cost effective and more hands on, just better for us financially

A: Affordable small instructor to student ratio

What has been your favorite class so far?

J: Intro to higher ed and horticulture

A: Fall ethnobotany

What student organizations are you a part of? Why?

J: AISES and AIHEC, to be involved in the college and know they are great learning opportunities.

A: Currently vice president of AISES, AIHEC to stay involved with the college besides classes

What advice would you give someone who is undecided on starting college?

J: Even though you do not know what to do I think it is still a good idea to attend college and just try it out because it will help you later in life. Maybe you will end up liking school and going further.

A: I have been undecided myself, but what helped was knowing that college can be affordable and there are lots of supports to help you with a variety of issues. I found my way after I asked for help.

What will you do after you complete your degree with Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwe College?

J: I am still considering my options, but I know I want to further my education and get a bachelors degree. I might do cosmetology or criminal justice.

A: I will continue to work for LCO Tribal police department. I would like to be in law enforcement and pursue IT and law enforcement.

What does it mean to you to attend college in our local community?

J: I feel like I can be a positive influence here.

A: Being able to show the younger kids that it is cool to go to school. Going to school helps you get things that you want and need. In the past, I worked at the LCO boys and girls club and have been able to share with the younger kids why college is important.

What does it mean to you to attend a Tribal College?

J: Learn more about my culture, I really liked helping with the Spirit Pole.

A: There are so many other ways to learn about Ojibwe culture than just in the classroom, this school has helped me see that.

Having attended the 2019 AIHEC Student Conference, what was the most memorable part of the conference?

J: Participating in the traditional plants competition.

A: I got to know students I would not have otherwise known. Meeting new people, especially the T shirt exchange. It was cool to see art from other tribal colleges and universities.

What competitions did you enter?

Both of us competed in traditional plants and volleyball. Now that we have gone once, we are so excited to go back and have a better understanding of how the competitions work.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square

I'm a paragraph. Click here to add your own text and edit me. It's easy.

ABOUT US

Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwe College (LCOOC) is a non-profit Ojibwe tribal community college.  We are an open-door institution which welcomes anyone who would like to work toward a better tomorrow.  LCOOC does not discriminate based upon race and will not deny admission to any Native student regardless of tribal enrollment or affiliation. We are compliant with Title IX which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex.

ADDRESS

LCO Ojibwe College
13466 W. Trepania Rd.
Hayward, WI 54843

info@lco.edu

Phone: 715.634.4790
Toll-Free: 888.526.6221
Fax: 715.634.5049

LCOOC Sustainable Agriculture Research Station

13457W Froemel Rd.

Hayward, WI 54843

Phone: 715.634.9666

© 2017 LAC COURTE OREILLES OJIBWE COLLEGE

• Facebook Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • ecampus