Student Spotlight: Patricia G. Gordon

Major: Bachelor of Science in Human Services

About you:

I am a member of the Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa’s, I’ve worked here for over twenty years, I’m a native from this community. I’m a first-generation college student in by family, single mother of three and grandmother

Why did you decide to pursue a college degree with Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College?

I was a recent Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College student and obtained a two-year AA Degree in Early Childhood Education. After hearing about the Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College's plans to offer a Bachelor programs, right here in Red Cliff, I was excited in hearing this news. I decided to take the chance to enhance my career in try something new and apply for this Bachelor program.

How is Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College different from other college options?

Well first, its local. Teacher’s care about their student’s educational achievements and you get to learn along with a great classroom team that care a lot about their community, family, children and people they live with.

What has been your favorite class so far?

Social Work Methods and Skill which teaches about the essential foundations of practice, Social Welfare Policy, Social Programs underlying Values that make up the social welfare program.

What advice would you give someone who is undecided on starting college?

That it’s never too late to learn or start learning to achieve great things or just acquiring more learning skills, knowledge towards any education in general keeps the mind healthy.

What will you do after you complete your degree with Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College?

After completing my Bachelor of Science in Human Services I’ll still work in my current CCS position or hopefully mover closer to working as a Behavioral Health Aide, Community Outreach worker, Probation Officer or a Rehabilitation Case Worker.

What does it mean to you to attend college in our local community?

What it means a great deal knowing that one can stay right here at home and still pursue a degree, still work full-time and that your tribe supports you furthering your education.

What does it mean to you to attend a Tribal College?

To me its not only an opportunity of learning through a tribal college, but its different because it offers a lot of course’s related to one’s own culture, history, research, tribal policy’s and laws, Ojibwe language, and other cultural teachings.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square

I'm a paragraph. Click here to add your own text and edit me. It's easy.

ABOUT US

Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwe College (LCOOC) is a non-profit Ojibwe tribal community college.  We are an open-door institution which welcomes anyone who would like to work toward a better tomorrow.  LCOOC does not discriminate based upon race and will not deny admission to any Native student regardless of tribal enrollment or affiliation. We are compliant with Title IX which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex.

ADDRESS

LCO Ojibwe College
13466 W. Trepania Rd.
Hayward, WI 54843

info@lco.edu

Phone: 715.634.4790
Toll-Free: 888.526.6221
Fax: 715.634.5049

LCOOC Sustainable Agriculture Research Station

13457W Froemel Rd.

Hayward, WI 54843

Phone: 715.634.9666

© 2017 LAC COURTE OREILLES OJIBWE COLLEGE

• Facebook Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • ecampus