Student Spotlight: Deanna Maulson-Greske

About you:

I am a Lac du Flambeau Tribal Member, a First Generation College Student, and am graduating May 2019. I am a full-time employee at the Lac du Flambeau Family Resource Center which is the Mental Health and AODA tribal facility. I have 2 Sons (5 & 3), and a fiancé, who are my biggest supporters. I love to practice my treaty rights and I am proud to be Native American attending a Tribal college.

Why did you decide to pursue a college degree with Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College?

I pursued a college degree with Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College because I wanted to learn more about my culture and language while receiving an education that I could bring back to my community.

How is Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College different from other college options?

Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College is different from other colleges because the majority of the student population is Native American. It is such a welcoming feeling attending classes with other Natives who have similar mindsets.

What has been your favorite class so far?

I cannot just choose one class because Dianne Sullivan was such an amazing, supportive, encouraging teacher who I have had the pleasure to learn from.

What advice would you give someone who is undecided on starting college?

Take the chance, put in the effort, and never let anyone tell you, you can’t do something because if you put your mind to it, anything is possible. We are Native. We are Resilient! And to bring it back to their community to make the change and be the difference.

What will you do after you complete your degree with Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College?

I plan to continue my education in counseling by first working towards a Bachelor’s in Social Work then a Master’s in Social Work.

What does it mean to you to attend college in our local community?

It has been a delightful experience with a contagious atmosphere where I have made lifelong connections and friendships!

What does it mean to you to attend a Tribal College?

To me, attending a Tribal College is our people giving back to our people who may one day give back to the community. Tribal college is more affordable than attending a non-tribal college but a perk for those, like me, who were not raised traditionally, to give them a chance to learn and grow culturally.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square

I'm a paragraph. Click here to add your own text and edit me. It's easy.

ABOUT US

Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwe College (LCOOC) is a non-profit Ojibwe tribal community college.  We are an open-door institution which welcomes anyone who would like to work toward a better tomorrow.  LCOOC does not discriminate based upon race and will not deny admission to any Native student regardless of tribal enrollment or affiliation. We are compliant with Title IX which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex.

ADDRESS

LCO Ojibwe College
13466 W. Trepania Rd.
Hayward, WI 54843

info@lco.edu

Phone: 715.634.4790
Toll-Free: 888.526.6221
Fax: 715.634.5049

LCOOC Sustainable Agriculture Research Station

13457W Froemel Rd.

Hayward, WI 54843

Phone: 715.634.9666

© 2017 LAC COURTE OREILLES OJIBWE COLLEGE

• Facebook Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • ecampus