Student Spotlight: Nicholas R. DePerry

Major: Native American Studies, emphasis on language

Primary Site: Red Cliff

About you:

I am a Red Cliff tribal member, Loon Clan. I am married with eight children ages 14 down to a 1 year old. I love to go to pow-wows, and drum. My children all dance.

Why did you decide to pursue a college degree with Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College?

I decided to attend college because I needed a change. I want to be able to have a steady income and better support my family.

How is Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College different from other college options?

Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College was different for me than any other colleges because it is here at home, it has smaller class sizes, and I am closer to family. The college is community based versus a state college.

What has been your favorite class so far?

I don’t believe I have a favorite class. I am enjoying all the classes that I am enrolled in. Each class has a different level of difficulty and I enjoy the challenge.

What advice would you give someone who is undecided on starting college?

The advice I would give is just do it. I was super scared about coming to school. I put those fears aside to challenge myself. You don’t know what you are capable of if you don’t apply yourself.

If you even have a thought of going to school, that’s a start. That’s where it begins. With a thought. Don’t doubt yourself. Don’t talk about it, be about it. You got it!

What will you do after you complete your degree with Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College?

My plan after school is to possibly apply for a position at our school in Bayfield, or any tribal position within our community. Culture and language are important to our communities and whatever I can do help, I will.

What does it mean to you to attend college in our local community?

It means a great deal to me to attend college here in Red Cliff. Red Cliff is home. Having a site here will hopefully encourage more people to apply and attend.

What does it mean to you to attend a Tribal College?

Attending a tribal college is means a lot to me. Its local, its community based, its culture based and all those are all very important to me.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square

I'm a paragraph. Click here to add your own text and edit me. It's easy.

ABOUT US

Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwe College (LCOOC) is a non-profit Ojibwe tribal community college.  We are an open-door institution which welcomes anyone who would like to work toward a better tomorrow.  LCOOC does not discriminate based upon race and will not deny admission to any Native student regardless of tribal enrollment or affiliation. We are compliant with Title IX which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex.

ADDRESS

LCO Ojibwe College
13466 W. Trepania Rd.
Hayward, WI 54843

info@lco.edu

Phone: 715.634.4790
Toll-Free: 888.526.6221
Fax: 715.634.5049

LCOOC Sustainable Agriculture Research Station

13457W Froemel Rd.

Hayward, WI 54843

Phone: 715.634.9666

© 2017 LAC COURTE OREILLES OJIBWE COLLEGE

• Facebook Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • ecampus