Student Spotlight: Misty Jackson

Name: Misty M Jackson, Binesi Ogiizhigokwe (ThunderBird Sky Woman)

Major: Science & Native American Studies

Primary Site: Lac du Flambeau

About you:

Bad River member, Eagle Clan, Lac du Flambeau - 1st descendant; non-traditional student

Why did you decide to pursue a college degree with Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College?

I retired from the US Army in 2015, and wanted to start back to college somewhere friendly and with the same values as me. The LDF Outreach Site is a very short distance from where I stay in Lac du Flambeau, and where I had previously participated in Beading, Applique and Genealogy workshops. My familiarity with the college was a big part of my choice to apply to LCO College.

How is Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College different from other college options?

It is smaller, with a great teacher-student ratio. I can have in-depth conversations with instructors that I may not get from a larger college or university.

What has been your favorite class so far?

I’m majoring in Science and Native American Studies, so General Cell Biology, Genetics and Evolution with Dr. Deb Anderson and Native American History with Michelle Haskins have been among my favorites.

What student organizations are you a part of? Why?

AISES, AIHEC, Student Senate – I think extracurricular activities are important to being a well-rounded student, I think that the doors that are being opened now will be vital to my future in higher education and the medical field.

What advice would you give someone who is undecided on starting college?

Just do it. There is so much opportunity for growth, and if you don’t know what you want, then try different classes to see what appeals to you.

What will you do after you complete your degree with Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College?

I will be transferring to a larger university and hope to finish an undergrad in NeuroBiology. I am planning on applying to Medical School and eventually go into the Pain Medicine/Management specialty.

What does it mean to you to attend college in our local community?

I am grateful for the opportunity, to be able to learn from instructors who are truly devoted to our education.

What does it mean to you to attend a Tribal College?

I think it is great that we have a Tribal College that aligns with the Anishinaabe values. It is great to be able to learn language and know the history of our people.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square

I'm a paragraph. Click here to add your own text and edit me. It's easy.

ABOUT US

Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwe College (LCOOC) is a non-profit Ojibwe tribal community college.  We are an open-door institution which welcomes anyone who would like to work toward a better tomorrow.  LCOOC does not discriminate based upon race and will not deny admission to any Native student regardless of tribal enrollment or affiliation. We are compliant with Title IX which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex.

ADDRESS

LCO Ojibwe College
13466 W. Trepania Rd.
Hayward, WI 54843

info@lco.edu

Phone: 715.634.4790
Toll-Free: 888.526.6221
Fax: 715.634.5049

LCOOC Sustainable Agriculture Research Station

13457W Froemel Rd.

Hayward, WI 54843

Phone: 715.634.9666

© 2017 LAC COURTE OREILLES OJIBWE COLLEGE

• Facebook Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • ecampus