Alumni Spotlight: Wesley Wilson

Major: Human Services

Primary Site: Main Campus

Tell us about yourself:

I was raised in the Northwoods and am a graduate of Hacil Charter School.

Why did you decide to pursue a college degree with Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College?

While assessing different options for my future, I knew I desired to help people. I did not know what that would look like and through some suggestions from others and individual research, I found the Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College had the best opportunity for me to stay involved with this unique Northwoods community and still pursue my dreams and passion about helping people.

How is Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College different from other college options?

As a student, there was never a moment I did not feel encouraged by my peers, professors, and professional staff. Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College leads students through empowerment and encouragement unlike the traditional academic “hoop jumping” approach.

What was your favorite class?

Sociology really broken down a lot of the preconceived ideals I had formulated and opened my way of thinking to a whole new prospective on life.

What student organizations were you a part of? Why?

As a second-year student I was the secretary for student government. I really had no idea what I was signing up for and due to some scheduling conflicts, student council rarely met that term. On hindsight, I believe I signed up because I desired to be actively involved in making great changes for the community.

What advice would you give someone who is undecided on starting college?

You can do this – its hard work, maybe even impossible by yourself, but Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College has so many faces who can offer the support, empowerment, and encouragement you need to finish the journey you start here.

What did you do post-graduation?

After graduation I continued on to get my bachelor’s degree and am now honored to be in a position at the College, where I can give back to the community that gave me such a great start.

What does it mean to you to attend college in our local community?

Attending college here meant I was able to learn from a familiar prospective in a new refreshing way. This college is unique in the sense that people here are not just passing faces but members of a community who desire the mutual goal of seeing the community thrive.

What does it mean to you to attend a Tribal College?

Having a deeper and culturally enriched understanding of this Ojibwa

community has really impacted my professional goals and methods of helping people.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square

I'm a paragraph. Click here to add your own text and edit me. It's easy.

ABOUT US

Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwe College (LCOOC) is a non-profit Ojibwe tribal community college.  We are an open-door institution which welcomes anyone who would like to work toward a better tomorrow.  LCOOC does not discriminate based upon race and will not deny admission to any Native student regardless of tribal enrollment or affiliation. We are compliant with Title IX which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex.

ADDRESS

LCO Ojibwe College
13466 W. Trepania Rd.
Hayward, WI 54843

info@lco.edu

Phone: 715.634.4790
Toll-Free: 888.526.6221
Fax: 715.634.5049

LCOOC Sustainable Agriculture Research Station

13457W Froemel Rd.

Hayward, WI 54843

Phone: 715.634.9666

© 2017 LAC COURTE OREILLES OJIBWE COLLEGE

• Facebook Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • ecampus