Student Spotlight: Kiana-Mae Reynolds

Major: Liberal Arts

Primary Site: St. Croix

Tell us about yourself.

I am a traditional student, a St. Croix Chippewa Tribal Member, and a fur mom to two kittens.

Why did you decide to pursue a college degree with Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College?

I wanted to learn my language, as well as gain knowledge and experience for a new career path. I also wanted to better myself for my little family and future family.

How is Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College different from other college options?

This college is more attentive and hands-on with students; some colleges let the student figure things out on their own. I love that all the teachers reach out and go above and beyond.

What has been your favorite class so far?

My favorite class so far is definitely Ojibwemowin I. I was so worried about struggling, but not only am I not struggling, I am catching on very fast.

What student organizations are you a part of?

I am not a part of student organizations. However, I was recently hired in the education department and through the tribe as the Johnson O’Malley Homeschool Coordinator at Cumberland High School.

What advice would you give someone who is undecided on starting college?

It is never too late to better yourself, even if you are unsure or wary, just jump right in and do it!

What will you do after you complete your degree with Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwa Community College?

I will pursue my current career in the education department; I would love to help my tribe in any way possible.

What does it mean to you to attend college in our local community?

It means a lot to me to be attending college in my community because just keeping my consistency and showing up, people notice my effort and possibly get motivated to do the same.

What does it mean to you to attend a Tribal College?

It is very important for me to attend tribal college because keeping my culture alive is a passion for me and anybody who works at the college or attends understands the importance as to why I attend.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square

I'm a paragraph. Click here to add your own text and edit me. It's easy.

ABOUT US

Lac Courte Oreilles Ojibwe College (LCOOC) is a non-profit Ojibwe tribal community college.  We are an open-door institution which welcomes anyone who would like to work toward a better tomorrow.  LCOOC does not discriminate based upon race and will not deny admission to any Native student regardless of tribal enrollment or affiliation. We are compliant with Title IX which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex.

ADDRESS

LCO Ojibwe College
13466 W. Trepania Rd.
Hayward, WI 54843

info@lco.edu

Phone: 715.634.4790
Toll-Free: 888.526.6221
Fax: 715.634.5049

LCOOC Sustainable Agriculture Research Station

13457W Froemel Rd.

Hayward, WI 54843

Phone: 715.634.9666

© 2017 LAC COURTE OREILLES OJIBWE COLLEGE

• Facebook Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
  • ecampus